By the time I get to January my body is normally ready for a Detox. Afterwards I always feel more energised & ready for the Spring! Here are details of a Detox that I have followed quite a few times over the years. Its quite strict, but you can adapt it to your own needs. Its based on a book called 'Detox Yourself' by Jane Scrivner, but with a few adaptations. Its probably best to read the book or something similar if you want more specific details. Going on a Detox is not suitable for some people e.g. if you are pregnant or have certain health issues - so check with your Doctor if you're not sure.
The Detox Programme lasts for 30 days & is based on eating fish, non-dairy protein, fruit, vegetables, salads, brown rice, nuts & pulses.
These are the things you need to do every day:
- Drink a cup of hot water & lemon juice first thing every morning.
- During the day drink at least 1.5 litres of water.
- Include at least one superfood per meal. The list of superfoods includes: Fresh garlic, grapes, onions (any type), beetroot, carrot, fennel, Manuka honey or organic honey, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, watercress, cabbage
- Have at least one portion of brown rice or short grain rice every day.
- Have at least 3 portions of vegatables a day.
- Have at least 3 portions of fruit per day.
- Have at least 3 portions of salad a day.
- Have at least one portion of non-diary yoghurt, cheese or milk every day - goat's or sheep's products, rice milk, soya products etc.
- Have 2 portions every day of any of the following: fish, pulses, nuts, herbs, olive or any seed oil.
- Avoid all of the following: alcohol, bread, pasta, refined white rice, caffeine, chocolate, cow's milk/cheese, added salt, added sugar, red & white meat.
The Body Care Programme
This aspect of the Detox allows you to pamper & nurture yourself & it also increases the benefits of the detox!
- Do dry-skin brushing every morning
- Turn your shower to cool for the last 1 minute of your shower.
- Self-massage every morning and evening. Make your own massage blends - good detoxing essential oils are juniper, rosemary, cypress, grapefruit & mandarin.
- Take 20 minutes of exercise every day - ashtanga yoga is great on the detox.
- Have 10 minutes relaxation every day.
- Have 5 minutes of quality breathing every day - you will be doing this already if you are doing yoga.
- Exfoliate every 3 days.
- Take a mineral-salt bath every 5 days
- As an extra special treat try to book in an aromatherapy massage, some reflexology or some acupuncture as these treatments will help you to feel energised & nurtured & help your body to detox.